Saturday, January 26, 2008

Dum Spiro Spero

While I breathe, I hope.

This must be a thought on John Edwards's mind tonight - this son of South Carolina must know this motto of the Palmetto State. Finishing third in this primary must really smart. He pulled out all the stops - I heard one reporter today say that he spent more on tv ads than his two opponents, combined.

I am not terribly disappointed. I listened to the Obama victory speech. Aside from the rhetorical elegance, the music of his high-minded and visionary words, there was something about his speech that was very apparent to me, and very reassuring: he was pitching the Edwards agenda.

So I congratulate Barack Obama and his multitude of supporters, but I also thank John Edwards for setting the Democratic agenda in this campaign. No matter how this campaign comes out, Edwards has had a tremendous impact and his ideas and convictions have defined the platform for the party and for the government that will be formed in January 2009.

We are heading in the right direction, under inspired and talented leadership. Yes, even up here in New Jersey, while I breathe, I am filled with hope.

Neil

No comments: