Friday, March 05, 2010

Total Praise

I went to a Black History month celebration at New Brunswick High School last night and was moved by one young woman's performance, singing Richard Smallwood's "Total Praise." Her singing was not flawless, but she sang with power and confidence and with such sincere and profound feeling - so much emotion that my dark little atheist heart was overwhelmed. The power of music, the purity of spirit with which it was offered, and the intimacy and warmth of a human voice fully engaged -- it all made for a memorable experience.

And so this morning, I am remembering and it caused me to look for other performances of this beautiful hymn. I posted one on Facebook and here is another. This video is a performance by the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir. I hope you will enjoy it.

">

1 comment:

marigolds2 said...

Dear Neil - I more than enjoyed this performance. It brought tears to my eyes. If I could go to a church where this sort of music, this depth of spirit, was manifested, my dark little agnostic heart would rejoice.
Thank you.
Mary Ellen